Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My life is soooo hard...

So the past 2 months I have been unemployed. And have used the phrase "My life is sooo hard!" And usually people respond with... "Oh ya.. right!" But today... my life WAS hard! I had a HUGE decision to make. And I prayed and did all the things I was supposed to do and it was STILL a really, REALLY HARD DECISION!!! So as all of you probably know I am officially a hair dresser. Licensed in Utah and now Washington! Yay! Finally. So I got my License in Washington on Saturday. So this week was finally the time to start looking for a job. I applied at Great Clips like 2 months ago and they have been trying to set up an interview with me for a while now. So I figured I should probably have a fall back.. and Great Clips would be it... So I applied at Regis as well... This is the job I was hoping for... I had my interview for Great Clips on Tuesday. Uncle Rudy came in and was my beautiful model. The things I loved about Great Clips were...
  • Fun, friendly atomosphere
  • Lots of walk-ins
  • Better hourly pay
  • Better incentives
  • Nice co-workers
  • Friendly Manager
  • They offer Health and Dental

The things I didn't like about Great Clips....

  • It's Great Clips....
  • They don't do colors or any chemical service....
  • They don't wash hair before a cut....
  • They don't style the hair after the cut....
  • I would have to work every other Sunday for 2 months then have them off after that...

So the good definitely outweighs the bad... So on Wednesday aka Today I had an interview at Regis. I went in and here are the pros and cons...
Pros....

  • It's Regis... aka nicer salon
  • They offer Health, Dental AND Vision
  • Better experience
  • They do the whole package.. wash hair, cut AND style hair

Cons...

  • They only pay on commission and it's 40% (ps that is NOT a lot!) or minimal wage which ever is greater... (still not a lot)
  • The manager would NOT make eye contact with me during the interview
  • The girls seem snuddy when I walked into the salon for my interview
  • I would be the lowest person in the salon, so I would be the last one to get walk-ins
  • You aren't supposed to do hair outside of work... they want them to come in and pay...
  • I would have to work every Sunday for a year. No matter what.

So Regis had more Cons then Pros.... Hmmm... so I sat in the car and prayed, counseled with my parents and decided to go with Great Clips... and here is why.... I can still do colors outside of work at my house. And KEEP all of the money. No paying an outsider. Plus Great Clips will teach me how to have speed. Which I am not gonna lie, is something I lack as of right now... So I walked into Great Clips to figure out exactly how much I would make an hour. And as soon as I did everyone was so welcoming to me! And I sat down to fill out some paperwork and just knew this would be better! So she figured out what my exact pay would be and it is more hourly than I have ever made in my life. Plus I would be getting commission AND tips on top of that! After everything I would make almost double at Great Clips compared to Regis... Double? Yes. Double! So after realizing this I knew the choice was simple! So I had my orientation today and I start tomorrow! I am not even nervous for my first day! So I think it will be good. And not to mention it is humbling. Because not going to lie. I used to make fun of people that work at Hair Masters, Great Clips, cheap hair places like that. Little did I know... they make more money than people just starting out...

So anyways moral of this story is that I have a job at Great Clips. And it's not because I suck at doing hair. It's because I am only working to get money... lots and lots of money... But really aren't we all just working for the money?

1 comment:

Bonnie and Tyler said...

YAY!!! My Mom gets hr hair cut at great clips. Which one are you working at?? BTW... have you seen my mom? Her hair is sooooo long! Its past her shoulders! haha. Maybe soon you will be able to come visit me and I can pay you to do my hair!! Love you! I am so happy that you're happy!