Sunday, July 6, 2008

Do you smell that?

Ok, so here is the update on my roommate. She is from Japan, her name is Lisa. And we were talking the other day and she was telling me that she lived in Japan for 3 years after she graduated h.s. and then went to BYU-Hawaii and got her B.A. in Counseling Psych. As I was adding this all up in my mind (I mean I am no math major) but I was realizing that she is probably older than me.... so I asked her plain and simple how old she was. This was her response word.... for... word! " I old. I not tell you age I am. I tell you year. 1978." With a big huge grin. I tried not to let my jaw drop to the floor after quickly or not so quickly calculating her age in my head. Yep. She is 32. A bit old to be living in BYU approved housing. But it's all good. I'm not a hater. Anyways she is really nice. And very careful not to step on my toes which I have to admit I like.... my bad. But here is a quick story that happened the first day she actually lived here.... So I was back in my room drying my hair. And my room is at the back of the apartment and then I have my own bathroom and vanity area even further back in my room. Any who so I was drying my hair and I smelt something burning. At first I was confused forgetting I now had a roommate. And then I realized that it was coming from my kitchen. So I opened my bedroom door to find my whole hallway and living room/ kitchen filled with smoke. (side note: I was going to grab my camera to take a picture of the smoke but as soon as I opened the oven door I decided that was a BAD idea). So when I opened the oven I see this poor little pathetic $.88 pizza in the middle of 4 flames. The fourth corner of the WAX paper had not yet caught on fire. So I quickly search my kitchen for something to put these 3 mini fires out with. I finally find an oven mitt and start patting the flames. They eventually go out and I standing there waiting to wake up from a dream. But, nope this is reality. So my roommate comes out of the bathroom in a towel and had a very surprised look on her face. She looks at me and says "what happen?" I look at her, look at the oven and burnt remains of the wax paper stuck to my pan and look back at her. As I take the pan out of the oven and save the 88 cent pizza and put it on a new pan with ALUMINUM foil I nicely explain to her that you can't wax paper in the oven, because it will catch fire. Then help up the pan with the melted wax paper and said "example A". I quickly opened the windows and door to help the burning crayons smell escape our apartment. It eventually did. She apologized about a million and a half times. I kept telling her it was ok and that it was an accident and to just be more careful. However I have a feeling this overpowering smell thing is going to be a tradition. Today Kristin and I decided it was time to roll out of my apartment when we smelt seaweed cooking. Yeah.... it's going to be an interesting time. Oh and don't worry she said she would save me some of her seaweed/ cabbage/ beef roll.... Yummmy.....

2 comments:

Nicole said...

That is funny! Isn't roommate living always an adventure?

Donna Chapin said...

Michelle,

You have been tagged. Check out my blog.
Love, Mom