Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I hurt when you hurt, I smile when you smile....

Does anyone ever feel like, just after you get over this huge test in your life and you are finally feeling peace and happiness that you have to hear that someone else has so much more in their life they have to go through? I know I do. I am grateful for my life. I am grateful for my family, friends, testimony, my job, the opportunity to go to school. I'm grateful for the knowledge I have of the plan of Salvation. I am grateful I know where my loved ones go once they leave this Earthly state. I have so much to be grateful for, but yet I still complain, daily, hourly. Why? I need to quit this horrible habit of mine.
I found out tonight that one of my new, but closest guy friends is having a hard time in life. Not just because his grandpa AND dad are dying, but also because his Mom is struggling with depression. His brother went into Emergency heart surgery today... oh and He, himself possibly has testicular cancer. What the heck? He is still helping me through my day??? Listening to me complain about my "Lonnnng day" at school or how boring class was? What is my deal? His parents didn't even raise him. His grandparents did. I have awesome parents who supported me and still support me in following any of my dreams no matter how crazy they are. Why can't I just be happy in my life? My life isn't a breeze. I struggle daily to find happiness, but I think I need to look closer in my life and realize that I am lucky for my life and need to not take that for granted.
I also need to remember that I find most happiness when I am serving others. That is something that I haven't done in a real long time. And I need to start serving others so I can be happy. Whether that is selfish or not, I really don't care. But I feel better about my life when others around me are happy. So this weeks/ months goal is to serve others. And to try to make my new B.F.F. realize his happiness in his life.....

2 comments:

Nicole said...

True, true! We are so blessed and so lucky to have all that we do! I also know that when I am serving others I am so much more happy! I hope you can be there for your friend the same he has been there for you. Love you.

Donna Chapin said...

I will echo Nicole's comment. It is so true that we do have so many blessings. And I feel more gratitude when I look at what I do have rather what I don't have. I love singing the hymn "Count Your Many Blessings" it helps remind me that I do have many blessings. And you listed many of them in your blog. Serving others is a big help to all involved.
Love you.
Mom