Friday, July 10, 2009

The Great Saddness


Most of you know there are a few things that I really do not enjoy doing. Two of those things are scrapbooking and reading. However, I read a book. Maybe it was the lesser of two evils, but maybe it just called out to me. See, a few weeks ago my Mother and I went over to Eastern Washington and while there I found this book sitting on Deb's table. I started reading it and she let me borrow it. I mean it was either read the book or scrapbook with the gang. And since I'm not part of the "gang" I probably wouldn't have fit it. Anyways... back to the book... The Shack is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. It is a spiritual book. About God, however is not by an LDS author. It is just about your relationship with God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. And the book made me realize something... Sometimes bad things happen to good people and it doesn't mean there isn't a God or that He wanted to punish them, it is because someone else's choice had a consequence on that person. I also realized that in the LDS church we believe that when we are baptized we take upon us the name of Christ. And I always thought of it to be like before you do something stupid or bad think "WWJD" or something and just think of what Christ would do and do that. But this book made me realize taking upon us the name of Christ means we become one with Christ. We need to have Him in our hearts always. It's not made to be we only try to be like Jesus every once and a while we should always be striving to be like Him. Our relationship with God should be a relationship we feel comfortable with. You shouldn't fear God or what He has to say. You should be able to talk to him about everything. He should be one of your best friends. Same with Christ. He is our elder brother and we should treat Him like that we should have a friendship with Christ. And for the Holy Spirit we should know that we always have Him with us. Even if we can't feel Him, He's there. After reading this book I realized that I don't have those 3 in my life enough. I thought I was fine, and couldn't realize what was missing from my life. For the longest time I thought it was a puppy or something material that I needed to find joy in life and it's not. In the book they talk about a Great Sadness that a father felt after his daughter was kidnapped and killed. The way he walked around, he just always had this great sadness way him down. He blamed God for the bad things that happened to his daughter. And I didn't have something as horrific as that happen in my life, but I have still felt sorrow and pain like everyone else. And I had this Great Sadness that now I can realize how to get rid of the Great Sadness and the only thing to get rid of it is joy. And I can find joy through my relationships with God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Conclusion: This book is amazing! Go read it. It will open your eyes and heart up to God.


4 comments:

Bonnie and Tyler said...

wow! Isn't it crazy how when you hate to read, but there is always the book that you do decide to read can have such an impact on your life. I am so glad that you are feeling better. I love you!

Nicole said...

3 things. 1. I am glad you read a book. 2. I am glad that it made such an impact. 3. I think you have found your answer.

Love you

Chyla Mashelle said...

I am going to go buy the book! This post maybe had me shedding a tear...you know how i get when there is talk of spirituality!
Love you!

Darla said...

Oh Michelle,

That does sound like agreat book & if I may say .. You fit in to the GANG quite well!!! Now I think if you can read you can scrap *lol*

Have a good one!!